Buy Now Pay Later Sites: Bad Credit
If you are looking to make purchases using one of the many buy now pay later programs like fly now pay later to buy airline tickets or using buy now pay later catalogs to purchase clothes or furniture; however, have bad credit there are several things you can do that may help. Just be aware that fixing your FICO credit score and repairing your credit takes time and effort. So, be leery of the many websites and advertisements that promise that they can fix and repair your credit score quickly. If you are going to see your credit score rise, you will need to take control and work toward rebuilding your credit over time.
Things You Can Do Right Now to Help Start Fixing Your Credit
- Pay any bills on time – if you want to affect your credit score in a very positive way, then making your payment on time can be one of the best ways to do that. It is estimated that your payment history contributes about 35% of your score. Here at buy now pay later sites; we suggest that you setup an automatic reminder that notifies you when a payment is due. Many banks today offer online services through their websites that provide you with the ability to set reminders or offer the option to setup reoccurring payments automatically. Also, many of the credit card companies offer automatic payments that can be deducted from your bank account, credit union or any other institution where you have a savings or checking account. If you would like to use the auto payment through your credit card company you will need to enroll in that program.
- Reduce What You Owe – we know that this for many is not easy task; however, this is going to be a vital piece of the puzzle if you want to fix your credit and increase your FICO credit score. It is estimated that the balanced owed contributes about 30% of your credit score. In addition to giving your credit score a boost, if you do reduce the amount of debt that you have it will also give you a boost to your emotions as a big achievement. So, here is where the hard part comes. While buy now pay later sites can offer an alternative to having to pay for your purchases until a future date, they can pose a big problem for you as you need to stop using your credit cards at once. Also, make a list of all your credit cards along with the balance and interest rate you are being charged. If you can consolidate several credit cards into one that has a lower interest rate. If you cannot, target to pay down the highest balance along with the highest interest rate first. Determine how much you can afford on a monthly basis and go ahead and setup the reoccurring payment via the methods we suggested above.
- Understand Your Credit Report & Score – in order to start to begin to repair your credit you will need to obtain your credit report. Thanks to the Fair Credit Report Act, you are entitled to one free credit report every 12 months from the each of the three nationwide credit companies. The three national credit reporting companies are:
Your credit report will include information such as where you live, if you have filed for bankruptcy, how well you pay your bills, and if you have been sued. These three companies collect this information and then sell it to other companies such as employers, creditor, insurers, banks and other kinds of businesses that would need this information to determine if you have the ability to make payments on purchases such as a house, car, and clothing or for other things like rent and insurance.
Buy Now Pay Later with Bad Credit & How to Order Your Free Credit Report
There are three ways in which you can get your free credit report from the three nationwide credit companies. The three ways are:
- Call – 1-877-322-8228
- Go to the website – www.annualcreditreport.com
- Fill out the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
Do not call the individual reporting companies as they do only provide the free credit report though the three options above. You can order the reports from each of the three all at the same time. Remember you are entitled to one free report from each company every 12 months. If you order your report on the phone or via the mail it usually takes about 15 days for you to receive your report.
Don’t Be Fooled By Imposter Website Offering “Free Reports”
There are a lot of website out there offering “free credit reports” and “free credit scores or credit monitoring”; however, there is only one authorized site under the law that can fulfill you free annual credit report and that is www.annualcreditreport.com.
Don’t be fooled by those websites that have created sites that make you think that they are the legit site. They use tactics like misspelling is www.annualcreditreport.com to make you think that you are at the correct site. Once you are on the site, they try to entice you to buy products or ask for personal information. The official credit report website as well as the national reporting companies will not send you
Bad Credit Stays with You a Long Time
The credit reporting agencies can report on your bad credit for seven years and if you have filed for bankruptcy they will report that information for ten years. If you are applying for a job that pays over $75k or looking to purchase life insurance of greater than $150k and have been convicted of a crime, that criminal information has no limit on reporting.
We hope that these tips will help you with getting your FICO bad credit score back to a place where you can obtain the credit you need to make the responsible purchases that you can afford to pay back whether you are buying from a buy now pay later store or other retailer or website.